Monday, November 3, 2008

A conversation with myself

You are serious about a Christian commitment to nonviolence are ya?
I think so. The Gospel is pretty clear in its examples.
What are you going to do about the gun in your bedroom?
...What?
The 9mm Beretta you have in your bedroom. You remember? You lobbied your father for it since, what, 10th grade?
Oh yeah...8th grade.
Well, there's a problem. I am running up against to discrepant religious duties. While I have a commitment to nonviolence, I also have a duty to protect my wife. She is a pretty nonviolent person, but I said I'd do the job.
That leaves you in a tough position.
It does, so what are my options? If I were to ever be in a bad situation, do I fight long enough to let Laura run and then become nonviolent when she is safe? That is halfway in line with St. Augustine (of Hippo) before his formulations on just war.
Do you need the gun though?
I suppose not. I will get it back to Mobile at the first opportunity and give it to Dad. He certainly wouldn't want it sold since it was his service pistol.

<<>>

Okay, I need to call Mom and ask if Dad would think I'm giving up a heirloom.

<<>>

Dad'll take it back. He understands a gun technically isn't the tool of a priest since I'm serious about that option.

<<>>

Well, even with the discrepant roles of living a commitment to nonviolence and protection of those in your charge, you should choose to protect life and this may compromise your ideal.
I'll have to live with that option if it occurs; I can't say for sure what will happen. I'll ask absolution if I am ever presented with that choice.
Do you need the gun, though?
No, I don't feel that kind of fear anymore. I'll get it back to Mobile at my first opportunity.

No comments: