Monday, April 14, 2014

When loss amplifies everything: Holy Week and Miscarriage.

TW:  Miscarriage

1.       Some preliminaries.
2.       Why now? ...And reflections on being in the Church after the miscarriage.
3.       The miscarriage / “Requiem at Seven Weeks.”

________________
Some Preliminaries

In what follows I will be recounting the experience of miscarriage that Laura and I suffered a few years ago.  This might lead to a few further reflections being written, so I want to start out with some preliminary disclaimers.

1.       Everyone experiences loss differently.  Nothing I write should be construed as a claim about what “normal” should look like.
2.       In the course of my writing, I will make claims about where I felt God’s presence in the midst of suffering.  In doing so, I am not suggesting that my experience should be normative for everyone who experiences a miscarriage.   I certainly do not wish to imply anything that could be construed as “if you suffer more than I did, your faith is/was not sufficient.”  If something of my experience of God in the midst of suffering is helpful, I will be happy.  If someone has experienced miscarriage or another loss as a time of God’s absence—or if someone makes no reference to God at all in her or his experience—I do not wish to imply that the person has a lesser belief or that he or she have somehow failed in grieving.
3.       Nothing I write should be construed as pointing to an opinion on elective abortion or claims about the personhood of a fetus.

Also, I strongly suggest a request for your consideration:  after reading this, please do not respond with anything along the lines of:

·         “The fetus was only seven weeks old.”
·         “Y’all now have your son” (which is like “You can always try again.”)
·         “God wanted another angel.”
·         “I’m sure God had His reasons.”

These responses are not particularly helpful things to say to grieving parents, and they will not be received well.   I'm now in a place where I can handle these responses and answer them, but let us both not expend that emotional effort.  

________________
Why am I writing this now?

Well, one reason is that I have meant to write about my experience of the miscarriage since the event.  There is not very much out there for fathers who experience miscarriage.  Additionally, anywhere from 10-25% of clinically recognized pregnancies end in miscarriage.  That is to say, they are incredibly common, and the silence around the loss is unhealthy for those who suffer the loss in a pseudo-imposed silence.  As the above warning also suggested, the loss invites people to comment in ways that attempt to minimize the discomfort of the one who hears about the loss at the expense of the one experiencing the loss. We are told we should not feel the loss as deeply as we do, either because it is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, or there is something divinely inspired/fatalistic about the loss.  The emotional work that has to be done in times of loss and grief is difficult; many of us stay silent to avoid the additional emotional work of sifting through others’ opinions about whether we deserve to feel our own emotions.

So, I’m writing to share the journey of going through grief.  The miscarriage still has effects on me, and some of those effects lead me to write about the miscarriage in this moment.  This first blog post will tell the story of the weekend the miscarriage occurred.  Other posts may take up talking about residual effects. 
_______________

Maybe it’s the remnants of the masculine ideal of “boys/men don’t cry” that still occasionally haunt me, but I am uncomfortable with crying in church.  I should be clear, though, that I’m fine with anyone crying in church.  Anyone else—including men—could cry and it would not bother me at all.  The Church should be a safe space for emotion to be expressed, particularly when these emotions point to realities other aspects of our dominant culture deny or suppress.  I’m fine with people crying in Church—everyone except me.

Like I said, some of it may have to do with residual patriarchal notions of what a man is supposed to be like; but in my case, as an Episcopal priest, I also find myself in leadership within the church.  Nowhere is this more evident or visible than in worship.  I see my role as being one of moving worship along, of maintaining the space for people to pray—to safely admit emotion and express themselves(!).  But in performing this role, I have to give up a little bit of my own ability to fully enter prayer so that I may hold the space open for everyone else.  I do not think I am suggesting anything too terribly controversial by admitting that worship leaders must strike a balance between being in worship as a participant and distancing ourselves to make worship happen for others.  

There are moments in the life of the Church and the Church’s worship that evoke great emotion.  One example is Holy Week, which we are now starting.  This is the week that we enter and live into the drama associated with Jesus’ last days before the Resurrection.  From Jesus’ triumphal entry into Jerusalem to his death on the cross.  The emotions vary widely:  excitement, turmoil, betrayal, confusion, abandonment, apathy, deceit, injustice, rage, cruelty, corruption, loss, grief.

And Easter—Hope.

Before loss, there is the surface-level sort of admission that the death of Jesus was the death of a man who had familial connections.  It’s a matter of historical (or at least scriptural) record.  Jesus had parents and siblings.  However, the emotion now runs so much deeper.  I feel the loss of Jesus, like Mary, as the loss of a child.

And in the Church’s worship both Lent (including Holy Week) and Advent bring these emotions and resonances to my mind.  Lent, the death of the savior, but now more so the death of a son.  Advent, the preparing for the birth of Christ and the knowledge that Christ would die.  Any hymn that mentions both Christ’s birth and death hold the possibility to reduce me to tears (“A Stable Lamp is Lighted,” “Lord of the Dance,” etc.).  I’m still discovering other things that trigger emotions that may not have anything to do with miscarriage on the surface, but something within me connects the whatever it is that I am doing and the memory.  The stripping of the altar on Maundy Thursday can be triggering.   Blessing children at the Communion rail can choke me up (I love doing this, but the emotion is there).

It should be no surprise that pastors have baggage, like everyone else in the world.  The difficult thing is for that baggage to show up while trying to hold open the space for other people to be present to their own emotions and to God’s work in their life.  I have occasionally wept in Church, but I do not like to do it.  I do not want to be a distraction.

So, I’m writing this because I want to give a reflection about loss from a father’s point of view.  I want to be an example of honestly expressing and admitting that loss occurs and has an impact, even years after the fact.  Sometimes, we are fighting to hold ourselves together because we think other people need us to do so.

I suppose the irony is that I am so hesitant to give that same permission to myself.  At points, writing this blog post felt like a way of saying “if I break down in sobbing during services this Holy Week, here’s why.”  I am writing an explanation I would require of no one else who would sob in church, but I feel like I need to explain it for myself. 

At least I do not feel like I’m making an apology.

Maybe that’s progress enough.

_____________________
The Miscarriage / “Requiem at Seven Weeks.” 
The following was written two days after the miscarriage.

I remember the joy I felt and the tears that I stealthily choked back when the ultrasound technician maneuvered the probe to show us our child at 6 weeks old.  Holding the tears back was harder when the technician turned up the speakers— a strong heartbeat at 119 beats per minute.  The technician printed out a few pictures for us.
That was Friday, June 8th, 2012.  We left the OB/GYN office happy.  Celebratory.  Laura was worried about some spotting, which did not seem to be a big deal by the end of the visit; some of our fear was put to rest.  We talked about the future and how it was difficult to wait to tell everyone about it.  We hadn’t even told anyone we were trying to have a child.  We decided to wait until July 4th to tell everyone.
Laura came home from work the next Wednesday and wanted to tell our families.  We bent our rules a little.  We called our parents and siblings, and then swore them to secrecy until after our reveal on July 4th.  Such wonderful phone calls to make!

Laura woke up that next Friday, June 15th, sensing that something was wrong.  Murphy, our cocker spaniel, seemed to know something too.  Thursday night, wide awake, he howled at Laura.  Friday morning, he barked at her.  He never barks at her.  By 9am, while teaching, she felt a rush of blood.  She called me.

“I think I’m having a miscarriage.”

I told her not to come home—to call the doctor’s office, follow their directions, and let me know where to go.  Calling her back five minutes later, I found out she was headed to the doctor’s office. I called a cab, and beat her there by a few minutes.  In my rush to find her, I immediately went to the receptionist; Laura had not checked in.  Going to meet her, since she would be arriving soon, I must have been on the elevator going down while she was in the other heading to the 5th floor.  At the first floor I saw her car, but not her. 

Getting back on the elevator I rode it to the fifth floor.  The door jammed.  I was stuck in this elevator.  After trying a few floors—at which the door did not open—I pushed the call button only to discover that I could hear the person who answered the call, but they could not hear me.  After futile attempts to talk to the person who answered my call, I took the elevator back to the fifth floor and forced the door open.  Walking into the OB/GYN office, I told the receptionist to inform maintenance of the elevator.

Laura was sitting close to the door.  When I saw her, the first thing I noticed was her eyes, red and puffy.  She would later tell me that she had gotten the worst of the crying out of the way at the gas station at which she had to stop if she wanted to have enough fuel to make it from Milford to New Haven.  I sat down and took her hand.  We were called about five minutes later.

We were immediately directed to the ultrasound room.  The same room from a week earlier.  The technician was quiet as she worked, and as we watched the screen the large gestational sac we saw last week was nowhere to be found.  She looked everywhere, and I wonder if she was trying to find some hope for us—to intentionally prolong the search.  Minutes passed.

“There is a lot of debris here,” she finally said.

She honed in on a small blob that looked a lot like the embryo we saw in the gestational sac seven days earlier.  The sac was gone.  Turning up the speakers, there was only silence.

I didn’t cry.  I focused on Laura, giving her my hand and passing her tissue. 

“I’m so sorry,” the technician said.  The technician left the room so that Laura could get dressed, and I passed Laura the clean underwear she asked me to bring.

In my training as a pastor, I’ve worked as a hospital chaplain.  Chaplains are used to shocks like these drowning everything else out.  We know that sometimes we need to ask questions of doctors for the family, to ask doctors to repeat things to which the family may uncomprehendingly shake their head in false understanding.  I reverted back to some of that training, and tamped down my emotions as far as I could, except for the sadness that wouldn’t drown and the empathy which would benefit Laura. 

We were moved into an examination room, and a nurse who probably had not read the chart came in to take Laura’s vitals. 

“So you are having some bleeding?” She asked in a voice that would seem too chipper to our ears on that day.  Laura just shook her heard yes and tried to smile. 

When the nurse left, Laura said, “I lost a pound from last week.”

In the next five minute wait, Laura commented that she felt very cold.  I offered her my over-shirt.

“No, it wouldn’t help.”

The next two midwives/doctors to come in were consummate professionals—quick to reassure, and willing to sit in the room for as long as was needed.  We were told that this miscarriage would not mean that we would have an increased risk of another.  Laura was to rest this weekend.  Call if the bleeding was too bad.  Be prepared to pass the lining of the uterus.  We could try again once Laura returned to a normal cycle—when the hormones common to pregnancy had passed.  Laura would need a shot, which was to make sure that her body would not develop antibodies that would attack another embryo.

In the waits between the doctors’ visits to the room, Laura said that she wanted to go.

“I want to eat something terrible for me.”

I agreed to take her somewhere with very fattening food.  I also told her that I’d handle talking to family later in the day.  On the way out, we stopped at a downstairs lab for a blood test, and left.  We stopped at the nearest Arby’s before we went home.

Friday and Saturday were quiet.  I cancelled my involvement hosting a workshop that weekend.  We continued the struggle of navigating Laura’s grief, and my own.  Since we had not told anyone except immediate family, only needing to inform them was easier.  In fact, that’s why we were waiting to tell people.  We did not want to tell everyone in the world Laura was pregnant only to have a miscarriage happen and people months later ask her when the baby was due.  I made calls to family members. 

The difficulty I was running into was that the people I would lean on in this situation didn’t even know we were trying to conceive.  Laura and I were keeping that quiet, too.  But the absence of any type of support system nearby was eating at me.  It didn’t help that on Saturday morning, I ran into a number of people from the divinity school on Orange Street, and had to front like nothing was going on.  I’m fairly certain one woman I talked to—a friend—immediately suspected miscarriage.

Laura was uncomfortable with this development, and that I had told the person I would have helped run the workshop.  I felt justified because I could tell my classmate exactly why I was leaving her to run a workshop by herself, and I also knew that she had once miscarried at seven weeks.  She would know exactly what was going on.

After taking Saturday off, I felt like I needed to go to my parish on Sunday.  I’m a deacon, and I had a role in the liturgy.  On top of being involved in the life of the community, as Friday and Saturday had gone on in terms of other matters and work I was involved in, I needed to go make a change to all of the service leaflets.  I got up, got dressed, put my collar on, and went to Church.

I arrived in time to change all of the service bulletins with time to spare.  I deflected the people asking me how I was. 

Smiling as best I could, I said “I’m fine.”  Fine.  It stands for “Fucked Internally, Normal Externally.”

But, twenty minutes before the service, I remembered that as a deacon my job in the service was to lead the prayers for the deceased.  I knew of one woman in the parish who died this week, but I didn’t know if I could name my child aloud.  We never named it.  Then I knew I wouldn’t be able to pray without breaking into tears in the middle of church, collapsing to the stone floor.  I immediately began to cry, and walked out into a deserted garden.   I called Laura.  I told her I was coming home.  I told her I had to tell my priest why.  Laura said she was okay with it.

And I realized what had happened to me.  For the past two days I had spoken about this as “we,” “us,” “you.”  I had never left chaplain-land (even though I was in husband-land too).  This was the first time I said “I.”  As in, I can’t do this.  My child died.  Yes, it was our child, but within that, it was my child too.  And I cannot stand in church, read the names of the dead, on Father’s Day, in the week of my wedding anniversary, and just then be willing to call the deceased child mine.  And I certainly couldn’t expect to not collapse in tears.  The very thought left me breathless.

I found my supervising priest, and told him I couldn’t stay today.  When he asked why, I broke down again, there in the parking lot.  He was incredibly gentle with me even as he seemed a bit surprised that I was at church with what had happened to Laura and me over the past two days.  He asked me what I needed.  I recovered enough to say that I needed to go home.

On the way home, I thought about what I had been learning about myself.  It turns out that I can keep other people’s secrets and pain all the day long.  My pain needs to be public.  Laura is a very private person and has her support network in place, but there are people I needed to tell.  People I trusted—who I cannot keep telling I am fine without it being a lie, and a lie that I cannot even pull off convincingly. 

When I got home I set down my bags, my papers, and my collar, and collapsed into Laura’s arms.  Wailing.  I have never made that noise before.  She guided me to the bedroom and I wept in her arms as I told her what had been seeking expression over the past two days.

“I have a support network,” she said, “and now I see that you don’t have the one that you need.  Tell who you need to.”  There is a proviso.  Laura wants no condolences coming from others outside of her own support circle.  She did (and does) not want the entire divinity school and church constantly reminding her of the loss. 

After a rest, I got up and came to the computer.  Writing is how I internalize things.  I can’t start grieving, really, until I write.

As I sit down to type this, my eye catches the first ultrasound’s printout, face down.  As I turn it over I see that Laura had added a caption.

“We’ll miss you.”

I add the date.

“D. 6/15/2012”


O God, who gathered Rachel’s tears over her lost children:  Hear now our sorrow and distress for the death of the child we longed for; in the darkness of loss, stretch out to us the strength of your arm and renewed assurance of your love; through your own suffering and risen Child Jesus.  Amen.


2 comments:

Elaine Ellis Thomas said...

Thank you, Robert. You have no idea how many of us have experienced this. I'm glad you shared it.

DanielleS87 said...

Thank you for sharing, Robert.