Sunday, October 26, 2008

Abundant Fear

I mentioned earlier that fear was on my list of things that tend to occupy my thinking as I go about my daily activities. It was originally on my mind because of the financial meltdown we seem to be going through; today I was reminded of the fear that the Christian Right is experiencing with the prospect of an Obama presidency.

James Dobson and his "Focus on the Family (FoF)", terrified of what could be a center-left government, has given in to fear-mongering in order to influence Christians to vote for the Republican ticket. Apparently, and according to FoF, in four years the Democrats will be able to completely destroy this country from the inside out. Some Christians (including me) will be to blame. The link above says much that that I agree with, but I'll pull out a few things to reiterate.

FoF spends an inordinant amount of time talking about homosexuality and abortion. Granted it is their focus as an organization, but they are inordinantly important to the organization considered how little is in the Bible about either. Jesus talked about service to the poor constantly, over a thousand times. Homosexuality is mentioned in seven verses in the entire Bible, none of which is attributable to Jesus and the context is culturally specific to the Jewish people. Are not the FoF's priorities misguided in light of the Gospels?

I don't live with this type of fear anymore; Dobson can't control me like that. Matthew 25 is a good antithesis of the fear that Dobson peddles.

No comments: