Monday, January 26, 2009

Candles

I've always liked candles, perhaps that's why I have been so quick to pick up on using them in worship (a sentiment that almost sounds heretical or Pagan to Baptist ears).
_______________________________________
One order of evening service in the BCP begins with a darkened church. The officiant says:

Almighty God, we give you thanks for surrounding us, as daylight fades, with the brightness of the vesper light; and we implore you of your great mercy that, as you enfold us with the radiance of this light, so you would shine into our hearts the brightness of your Holy Spirit; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

The candles are then lit in the church.
___
A priest once told me of how one time, when he was in seminary, he and the other students had prepared for performing the service carefully, but as they started the procession their professor yelled out "STOP!!!!!"

Pointing to the altar, the professor said something to the effect of, "The candles are not lit! God isn't here!"
___
In a similar vein, some people at the church at which I serve do not leave their pews until the altar and office candles are extinguished after the service.
___
Every Mardi Gras, my grandmother (Roman Catholic) lit a candle at her church for my father; it was a prayer for protection during the most stressful time of year for the Mobile Police Department.

___________________________________

Fire holds a special place in many religious rites and traditions, signifying presence, purity, etc.

I've begun using them in my own daily prayers for a sense of presence, but also for vigils. I light them both at church and at home to remind me of those for which I constantly offer prayers.

The candle bank at St. A's.


My little prayer corner at home. The woven cross is the cross of Saint Brigid of Ireland, my patron.

If you would ever like prayers offered or a candle lit, just let me know.

No comments: