Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The plan for Lent

To subscribe, enter your Email address in the bar over here ----->
_____________________________________________________

I invite you, therefore, in the name of the Church, to the
observance of a holy Lent, by self-examination and repentance;
by prayer, fasting, and self-denial; and by reading and
meditating on God's holy Word. (Book of Common Prayer, p. 265)

Typically I try to take on a spiritual practice during Lent instead of simply giving something up. But my life is significantly busier than it has been before. So I will be deactivating my Facebook account for Lent in order to make time for what may be more writing as a further practice in maintaining a thought for longer than a status update.  I figure avoiding Facebook and other online content will free up at least an hour a day for further contemplative prayer.

In consideration of the call above to to go through a regimen of self-examination, I plan to be writing about some things that have come to the fore over the past two months.  Some topics will include mediation on Bible passages, exploration of expressions of Celtic Spirituality, practical mysticism, the intersection of art, music, and spirituality,  and other things as well.

I have not taken time in a long while to think about my spiritual autobiography in a sustained way, and how I have been formed as a person and a Christian. Lent will be an exercise in naming what has formed the well-worn grooves in my soul; what I have lived yet left unsaid.  Some of this writing may end up on my blog.  I hope to post something at least every other day, even it is a quote from someone else.

I invite you through comments or e-mail to hold a conversation with me, especially since it may push me deeper into my self-examination.

Most people come to my blog through Facebook, so, if you'd like to keep up with what goes on around here, Subscribe to this blog by putting your email address in the box found up there ^ ^ ^.

No comments: